Village of Grand Beach is accepting applications for Deputy-Clerk, part-time, approx. 22-28 hrs/wk
M-F, with additional hours as needed for office coverage. Applicant must be flexible with work schedule.
HS Diploma or GED required. Minimum 2 years clerical, customer service and bookkeeping experience. One year in a municipal
office setting and an associate’s degree in business or finance preferred. Must be responsible, honest and reliable. Must be
Successful applicant will be organized, detail oriented, able to multi-task and a self-starter who will deliver great
Responsibilities include a wide range of clerical, bookkeeping and administrative support functions for the
Clerk-Treasurer’s Office including, but not limited to answering telephones, water billing, receiving and receipting payments
and payroll. Must be proficient in Word and Excel.
Pay commensurate on qualifications.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, application and resume to 48200 Perkins Blvd., Grand Beach, MI 49117 or
email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
JOB DESCRIPTION - DEPUTY CLERK
General Summary of Duties:
Under the direct supervision of the Village Clerk-Treasurer, performs a wide variety of clerical and administrative support
functions for the Clerk-Treasurer's office and the Water Department including,
but not limited to maintaining accurate files and public records, assists in the water utility billing process, assists
with payroll processing, assists in tax collections, and assists with building permit applications. Assists the Village
Clerk-Treasurer in any duties as may be assigned. Performs the work of the Village Clerk-Treasurer in that official's
Works under the general supervision of Village Clerk-Treasurer.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
The listed examples may not include all of the duties performed by the person in this position, or all of the duties
expected to be performed by the person in this position. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each essential function satisfactorily.
1. Acts as backup to the Clerk-Treasurer.
2. Assists the general public and customers in person, by telephone and/or email, answering inquiries related to records,
utility billings and general questions; receives complaints and attempts to resolve them; researches questions when appropriate
to provide accurate information; resolves issues and/or directs customers to the appropriate individual for resolution.
3. Prepares a variety of general correspondence and reports; edits materials for clarity, completeness, and accuracy;
performs a variety of other clerical duties including data entry, copying and assembling materials, faxing documents, collecting and distributing mail, filing, answering telephones, purging files while paying close attention to the Village of Grand Beach record retention schedule, and other related tasks.
4. Assists the Clerk-Treasurer with payroll, payroll deductions and payroll reports in the accounting software program.
5. Receives and posts payments; prepares deposits; creates and maintains spreadsheets, database information, and other
various documents utilizing word processing, spreadsheet, or database software.
6. Assists with mailing annual property tax bills, the collection of taxes, receipting and reconciling payments and tax settlement.
7. Enters water utility meter readings; processes water utility billings; processes and receipts customer payments; updates name and address changes; and maintains records of customer charges and necessary reports. Assists customers with inquiries and complaints regarding their water utility billings and takes appropriate actions to resolve them. Explains bills and payment
procedures to customers.
8. Prepares, publishes and/or posts all public notices, including Village Council and other board and committee work
sessions, regular meetings, special meetings and public hearings.
9. Assists in arranging and preparing meeting agendas and meeting materials for various Village meetings. Attends meetings and records and prepares minutes as required in the Clerk-Treasurer's absence. Prepares and processes paperwork and correspondence related to action taken at the meetings.
10. Conduct and compile research for Village Council, Village departments and in response to public requests to include
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
11. Assists with building permit applications and other related documents. Maintains building permit files and works with Building Inspector/Zoning Administrator when necessary to ensure that all files are complete.
12. Assists with bill payments, records checks and deposits in the check register for all Village accounts, and signs checks when necessary.
13. Assists the Clerk-Treasurer with the annual audit.
14. Assists in processing all hall rental requests and reservations. Ensures that proper insurance certificates have been provided to the Village prior to all rentals. Schedules cleaning of the hall after events.
15. Performs other duties as required by the Clerk-Treasurer.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES AND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
• A high school diploma or equivalent is required with at least two years of clerical, customer service and bookkeeping
experience using an automated system required; an associate’s degree in business or finance and one year in a municipal office environment is preferred. Must be reliable, responsible, honest and dependable.
• Working knowledge of municipal operations and organization, or the ability to acquire such knowledge in a relatively
short period of time.
• Working knowledge of Village ordinances and other requirements governing municipal operations or the ability to acquire
such knowledge in a short period of time.
• Skill in the use of office equipment and technology, including fax machine, copy machine, printers, scanner, telephone, calculator, tape recorder, computers and related software, and the ability to master new technologies.
• Intermediate proficiency level utilizing Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word and Outlook.
• Intermediate proficiency level utilizing QuickBooks software.
• Skill in effectively communicating ideas and concepts orally and in writing.
• Skill in recording and transcribing meeting minutes with a high degree of accuracy and detail.
• Knowledge of principles of record keeping and records management.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of governmental accounting and payroll administration.
• Ability to accurately maintain comprehensive records, compile reports, plan, prioritize multiple tasks, projects,
demands, research and solve problems and work effectively under stress, within deadlines and changes in work priorities and carry
out assignments with minimum supervision.
• Considerable ability to maintain confidentiality of communications, documents and other matters.
• Must be detail oriented, adaptable, flexible and a quick learner.
• Ability to carry out complex verbal and written instructions, prioritize projects and work independently.
• Ability to represent the Village in a professional, courteous and efficient manner.
• Ability to handle public contact with friendliness, responsiveness and tact.
• Ability to attend meetings at times outside of normal business hours and to travel to other locations when necessary.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, and use good judgment, initiative and
resourcefulness when dealing with employees, elected officials, and the public.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is essential that the employee be physically able to operate a variety of computer and office equipment successfully in
order to fulfill the essential functions of this position.
Employee must communicate clearly and effectively; must understand and be understood. Must be able to frequently engage in
ordinary or telephone conversations with speech and hearing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to view and produce written documents.
The employee is frequently required to sit and occasionally walk or stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach
with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally carry, push, pull, lift and/or move items of up to 20 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in a business office setting but is also required to work in the field occasionally and may be required to attend meetings after standard business hours. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed, and are in no way
construed or perceived to be exhaustive.
Download Employment Application Here